Saturday, July 21, 2007

My siblings are grown ups?

It's TRUE...sort of. This past week my sister, brother and I spent a week together in South Haven, Michigan at a cottage just a couple of blocks from the beach. We had the BEST time...but it's still weird to think that we are really grown ups, and here's why:

1) My brother can still make me laugh so hard that I pee my pants

2) Ditto for snorting Diet Coke up my nose and spitting it out of my mouth at the same time

3) My sister can get me laughing so hard and long that I literally can't stop unless I remove myself from the situation (which happened in an outdoor museum last week)

4) We still have some of the same habits and fall into them quite easily (not pretty to the outsider, but we get them!)

5) They get me...even when I don't and know the rest of the world doesn't!

HOWEVER, even though those old patterns never die (I'm betting we'll be a huge pain to the staff in the nursing home!), I'm excited to see how well they risen to the challenge of adulthood. They both are respected, work hard (a HUGE attribute in our family), they are well-read, can engage in stimulating conversation, care about people and issues (even though we don't always agree!) and have overcome some pretty significant hurdles in life, while somehow maintaining a sense of optimism and humor about it all.

YEP, I'm pretty sure we are certified adults, it's just not so obvious on the outside!

No comments: