Friday, September 7, 2007

A Wrinkle in Time...gone forever

I read today that Madeleine L'Engle died. She wrote "A Wrinkle in Time", and I, like countless schoolchildren and adults since the 60's, loved that book. Who knew that such an all time favorite book in our country was repeatedly rejected by publishers, before finally finding it's way into print. This much-loved book ended up winning the Newbery Medal for best American children's book in 1963 (the year I was born...say it isn't so!)

Remember Meg and Charles battling evil and searching for their scientist father out there in the universe? I loved this book and it, along with the "Boxcar Children", solidified my love of reading. I even remember loving how cool her last name was...it seemed so....exotic and sophisticated.

This country lost something great with the passing of Ms. L'Engle. What it didn't lose was an awesome, timeless story. Hopefully it will continue to pique the interest and imagination of children for generations to come. Can you imagine if this book came out today? It would be no less phenomenal than Harry Potter....perhaps even more so!

No comments: