Monday, September 3, 2007

Chasing the Sunset: of making a memory

This Labor Day week-end I spent with my family. I got to spend time with my sister, brother and parents, in really the only home I've ever known. It's one of the most peaceful places I know, and I love it.

My parents are getting more frail, but that makes the time with them all the more precious. We cleaned out a closet, part of an attic and went through some things in the garage. We talked, took naps and laughed at my dog Charley's antics. However we did one thing that I will always, always remember.

Sunday nite was simply one of those "perfect evenings": seventy degrees, no humidity, clear skies, crickets singing...you know the kind. You just want to bottle it up and hold on to it forever. I got this idea that we should get my bug out, put the top down, and "chase the sunset"...and that's what we did. My mom had popped popcorn and my dad brought some of it with him. My sister and I tucked my mom and day in my little VW, put the top down and turned up Rod Stewart's singing the "oldies" on my Itrip. As we drove down country roads, dad singing along to "The Very Thought of You", we watched the evening take on dusk and the sun go down.

We drove by horses grazing, calf's nursing, goats munching on grass and sheep heading towards their barn for the nite. We watched ducks and geese preening and onwards we traveled back towards home. Could it get any better than this?

As I was preparing for bed later on that evening, I thought how simple it was to spend time with those I love, doing something so simple that ended up being so special. After a week of letting myself get stressed out and worried about so many things that will end up being nothing, you know what? I decided I need to chase more sunsets. I need to spend time with those I love, and marvel at how great "old songs" sound with a new twist, and how some things never change: like the simple joy of taking an evening ride down country roads with the ones you love.

Yep, a memory was made last nite, and it will stay with me forever...



No comments: