Tuesday, August 14, 2007

AWP Encounters today:

Today was "one of those"...in fact yesterday was too! I guess you can "one of those" two days in a row? HA! You know the kind of day when:
  • expectations are woefully NOT MET
  • disappointment abounds; multiplies; and grows faster than a zit the nite of a date
  • failure seems to be the result of everything you are doing

...you get the picture: MAJOR PITY PARTY!

In the midst of this I had two visits/"encounters" from AWP's (Angels With Perspective). My 1st was in the morning. A friend and colleague told me about working on a house she is restoring and how much fun it was...AND how much it helped her re-focus and maintain some perspective. Like me, she's passionate about what she does, but passion can quickly mean disappointment...focusing her energy elsewhere made the work less frustrating and more fulfilling. HELLO: a lesson for me!

In the afternoon I had a dear friend call to ask a business question and then proceed to tell me how I needed to

  1. Count my blessings (my cool car, awesome dog, amazing sister, terrific parents, great friends, having a house in the Ripple...OK, the list really could go on, I really AM blessed beyond measure!)
  2. Get my perspective back as it was obviously out of kilter....i.e. quit putting in tons of hours at work, let go of that which I can't affect, and have more F-U-N!
  3. Understand that chocolate and a good pair of shoes really can make your life better! (and in that vein I bought a pair of IU crocs tonite and am drinking a jamocha fudge shake!)...it's WORKING!

I hope your not having "one of those days" this week. But if you are? I'm praying you have an encounter with an AWP...we all need them at one time or another. We also need to be an AWP for someone else when we see someone having "one of those"...

No comments: