Sunday, August 12, 2007

Upside down prayers on the couch

On Sunday evenings I usually try to "make space" for God and me. Just to "be"; to read the Bible more reflectively and to pray...to prayerfully listen vs. always giving God my LONG lists of requests (which right now includes rain among other things!)...

It's been a crazy week, by all accounts one of the crazier ones. Having some "down time" has been refreshing! Tonite I was laying on my couch a bit upside down (don't ask, but sometimes I do this and share a pillow with my dog...it's weird, but comfortable!)...and decided to "make space" for God...so that's where I spent my prayer time. Sometimes I kneel, sometimes I sit at the table, and sometimes I prop myself up in bed and " journal with Jesus". Tonite however, was different. I love it that God meets me in unusual places. Maybe it's because He knows more than anybody (since He created me!), how odd I am :-)

Here's some of what I prayed for:

*The students and teachers at Providence Cristo Rey: tomorrow is the 1st day of school and wow what a trip to get to this day! Also, for Sister Jean-for healing from her cold, for stamina, and humor. Wednesday is the dedication, and I can't wait to see what God has in store.
*RAIN! I'm a country girl at heart, and this dry, dusty weather doesn't just weary me, but it worries me...for farmers and their crops
*My parents: who have had to deal with so many losses and challenges and yet keep going. Oh, that I could ever be 1/2 of who they are!
*My staff: they have a lot on their plate and more is coming. They are great, but need to know that they are affirmed, that what they do is important, that they are valued...
*A couple of very dear friends who are going through so terribly hard times: for a measure of peace, for joy, for blessing, for feeling loved and comforted no matter what!
*And a couple of secrets...

Making space for the Creator is so important, and yet I often have to make myself do it...but I'm ALWAYS glad that I did. I encourage you to do the same...it doesn't matter where or when: you can even be upside down on your couch. God is so hungry to be with us, I believe He'll join us wherever we invite Him...and in any position!


No comments: